We all love food, don’t we? And the majority of us are especially partial to snacks (my hand is up!).
However, snacks in particular, can be tricky to navigate if you are trying to lose weight. Or if you’re trying hard not to put the weight on, for that matter!
Your snacking habits can sneakily damage all your hard work and add too many empty calories and too few nutrients to your diet.
On the other hand eating the right snacks can help keep your body energized and help you lose weight.
How? Protein promotes the growth of lean muscle mass, which boosts metabolic rate and increases calorie burn. Fibre helps improve digestion and keeps you full for longer which in turn keeps you from binging on sugary snacks.
“So what should I be snacking on?” – I can hear you ask. “Does it mean I have to follow the advice of Marjorie Dawes (the Fat Fighters consultant from “Little Britain”) and eat dust?”
Fear not! Healthy snacking doesn’t mean depriving your taste buds. Who would want that??
These snack ideas are healthy AND scrumptious:
- Canned wild salmon or sardines
- Jerky (grass-fed beef or turkey)
- Nuts and seeds (almonds, walnuts, pecans, macadamia nuts and pumpkin seeds)
- Nut butter (almond, pecan, macadamia) (squeeze packs are great for “on the go”)
- Hummus with veggies sticks ( think of whatever veggies you like)
- Organic plain popcorn
- Sliced apple or banana with tahini or nut butter
- Sliced apple with cottage cheese
- Celery and peanut butter
- Frozen natural yoghurt (avoid the sweetened yoghurts from supermarkets! Use the natural yoghurt and add some pureed or mashed fruit then freeze)
- Green smoothie
- Piece of fruit
- Oat crackers with cheese or guacamole
For short trips and to take to work or school:
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Cut-up carrots, cucumbers, capsicum (peppers) and celery in Ziploc baggies (pair with guacamole, hummus or tomato salsa)
- 1/2 cup mixed berries in a small Ziploc bag and plain yoghurt
- Half an avocado, sprinkle a little salt or tamari on top of it, a splash of olive oil and lemon juice. If you feel particularly adventurous, fill the avo with sardines or cottage cheese.